Design and selection of colors – something that plays not a minor role in creating a website. The choice made correctly is essential because the palette affects a person’s mood and behavior. Color can attract attention or repel.
To not lose potential customers, the owner of the web resource must take into account the opinion of a professional designer. But it is beneficial to have an idea of the selection of harmonious colors for the website. How to choose shades, what services will help to “spy” colors for the website and their combinations, how color schemes work. What else you need to consider when choosing a palette for a web resource.
The primary tool used to combine shades is the color wheel. With its help, you can find spectacular combinations that look harmonious together. But first, you need to understand the principles of working with it.
Harmonious combinations start from:
- From colors that form a triangle in a circle. Classical triad – when each element of the triple is separated from the other by an equal distance. Harmonious combinations are born from:3 colors that form a triangle in a circle. One color dominates, the other two complement it. There are also analog triads – a variety of shades that lie next to each other on the color wheel.
- Four colors are forming a rectangle. A complex scheme in which one color – the main, 2 – additional, and another – emphasizes the accents. 4 colors form a rectangle. All four colors can not use as the main: there will be an imbalance, the design will be, so to speak, cut the eye.
- Contrasts, i.e., combinations of 2 colors arranged in a circle opposite.
Such combinations are called color schemes. They remain harmonious no matter what angle of rotation.
To quickly navigate in the selection of color, you need to learn a few simple rules:
- Harmonious is the tones that are close in the spectrum. For example, next to red in a circle is pink, orange.
- Complementary or additional shades – a pair located in a circle oppowebsite. They can not use on an equal footing: one – always the main, the other – additional. The degree of contrast is significant, and such combinations best use when some information needs to emphasize. For example, blue is the background. Yellow is the color of the accent. It is, says, blue with yellow, green with red.
There are many more rules and schemes in color theory. Only the basic ones are named. But now many free services help both designers and fans to quickly and easily find their combination:
- Adobe Color CC. There are several selection modes, many palettes.
- Paletton.com is also easy to use.
One online assistant is more than enough! Just choose the one that is most convenient for you personally. In general, the selection of colors for the website – is not easy and subjective. The task is more accessible when the corporate identity already develops: it is clear what shades you need to use.
The value of shades
Many people are interested in its value when choosing a color. Briefly, how colors perceive in website design:
- Black: strength, conciseness, power.
- White: freshness, clarity, purity.
- Beige: modesty, neutrality, tenderness.
- Ivory shade: style, elegance, comfort.
- Gray: rigor, professionalism, control.
- Purple: elite, luxury, romance.
- Blue: peace, stability, security.
- Green: growth, development, naturalness.
- Orange: youth, friendship, cheerfulness.
- Yellow: fun, enthusiasm, energy.
- Red: passion, action, activity.
It is possible to understand for a long time from the psychological point of view what colors influence and what arouse associations. It is necessary to understand a simple thing: it is essential to choose such a palette that it did not irritate visitors.
Everyone’s tastes are different. The perception influence by emotional background, well-being, mood, user experience, weather, and 1,000 other factors. You will not please everyone! Scientists have long proven that male and female perceptions of color are very different from each other. It is tough to find a solution that suits everyone. By the way, the safest color in this regard is blue. No wonder he was chosen by many social networks – Facebook, Twitter.
Color and theme of the website
The right decision will help make the website unique and visible! And it will help the visitor to linger on the web resource. How to make the website design even more convenient? Read here. To most successfully choose a color palette, you need to consider the theme of the website.
Sometimes it sets the tone and dictates its terms:
- Imagine that the website is dedicated to landscaping, landscaping, sale of houseplants. The primary color here is green, strongly associated with the world of flora!
- If the website’s content is in any way related to water (sea voyages, aquariums, drinking water delivery), the favorite will be blue.
- Sites on a variety of women’s topics often use pink. And this is justified because it symbolizes femininity, tenderness.
- Yellow is close to gold. Take a look, and you will understand that organizations related to finance – banks, insurance companies, IFC – often choose approximate colors.
If the selection of colors is difficult, seek the help of nature, there are clues! Natural colors are always harmoniously and perfectly combined. However, a professional web designer will help faster. Read how to select and optimize images on the website at the link.
Do not forget that any website design for a specific audience. Of course, everyone has their own advantages over the palette, but there are some patterns. Including age:
- Children and young people are more attracted to colorful and bright shades.
- Middle-aged people prefer a less saturated range.
- The older generation is more receptive to soft pastel tones.
Therefore, to successfully determine the website’s color scheme, you need to study the target audience and analyze visitor statistics if the company already represents on the Web as a web resource.
Color and type of website
Palettes differ not only depending on the subject but also on the types of websites.
- Neutral colors are suitable for news portals – black, white, gray. Their users pay more attention to the content, so the color diversity there is minimized.
- Commercial websites tend to the same trend. Business prefers a strict, business design, using neutral, calm tones. Although the general rigor is often diluted with bright accents to highlight the most important information, push the visitor to take action.
- Ease of use and comfort of visitors is vital for forums and social networks. Therefore, the design is rarely colorful. Usually no more than two or three colors are used in the design.
- Online stores often have a spectacular design. But these resources are usually designed effectively. It is necessary to make sure that the bright elements correspond to the products offered on the website.
- Landing pages design specifically to draw attention to a product or offer. Their content is usually relatively short and spacious, and the design comes to the fore. And such a resource must be beautiful. But, of course, all is well in moderation.
Here is a simple algorithm that will tell you how to choose the color scheme of the website:
- To begin, you need to determine which tone will be predominant. The primary color is usually the main menu, important buttons, information blocks.
- Then a complimentary tone or several is selected.
- Additional colors use to design menu borders and blocks and headings, links, buttons, and other elements.
Pay special attention to the combination of additional colors. They should be moderately contrasting and create a harmonious blend. By following these simple tips, you will get a good result.
When choosing fonts, make sure that the text is easy to read and does not merge with the background. Avoid quirky, complex, and inconspicuous fonts where letters join or are not accepted.
Particular attention should pay to the display of content if a dark background use. If necessary, you can change the font color, emphasize or apply a border. Although the color of the fonts should handle with extreme caution – sometimes such a technique is used to highlight, but if you make a mistake, you can repel visitors.
It is crucial to make correct indents between blocks and rows. It may depend on how readable the text is.
The pages of the website should have, if not the same, then the only design style. If they make in several colors, with changing special effects, then not all users will like this variety.
The background does not have to be solid. You can try to change the contrast in different areas, use other effects. It is better to take a dim color. Sometimes it is intentional to create a contrast with the color scheme of the website. Only then do you need to make sure that the background does not overshadow the content. All elements and text should be visible.
Today, high-resolution photos, animations, or videos are often used instead of the background. While this is a trend, a modern solution, but it is not always possible to implement. And, of course, no sound when starting the video! You need to control that the download speed remains high.
You can choose the color scheme for the website yourself. But remember that no matter how interesting the information posted on the website, it risks being ignored in incorrect design. Therefore, contact us for professional website development! If you have plans, wishes, preferences, they will take them into account. But if you make a mistake at some point, the specialist will convince you to change your mind and suggest the best solution.